From the Publishing Professionals Network…
What every editor should know about book design
- Thursday, February 16, 2023, 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM PST
- Register at eventbrite
- Mobile eTicket
About this event
Design is editorial. And yet in publishing, editorial and design concerns (and departments) are often kept at arm’s length. Designer Debbie Berne will talk about how a deeper understanding of the ideas and mechanics of book design can help editors do their work better and create better books.
Topics will include
- Imagining the manuscript as a finished book
- Printer’s specs are design
- How a book’s title affects its cover design
- What you don’t know you don’t know about fonts
- Downton Abbey and the significance of space
- Line length, ragging, and a defense of hyphens
- And everyone’s favorite subject: the table of contents
Event will be recorded BUT only to those who register AND for only 1 month after the event.
Debbie Berne is a longtime Bay Area book designer. Her book, The Design of Books: An Explainer for Authors, Editors, Agents, and Other Curious Readers, will be published by University of Chicago Press in Spring 2024 as part of their series Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing.
Thanks to member Peter Goodman who alerted us to the opportunity!