BAIPA Meeting Held on May 7
Frances Caballo on Social Media and
Joel Friedlander on Blogging for Authors
We had a great meeting last Saturday, with Frances Caballo speaking about the ins and outs of social media, and Joel Friedlander sharing his expertise about the importance of blogging for authors.
See below for some quick takeaways from that meeting:
- The importance of having a tagline on your blog that describes some specific point that would appeal to a potential reader.
(Example: The Book Designer – Practical advice to help build better books)
- As important as social media is, building and using an email list is even more important.
- For every social media post, find an image, customize it with some text, and link it back to your site.
- Start with 6-10 foundation articles (posts) when you set up your blog.
- Stick to a schedule of posting. If twice a month is what you can do consistently, that is better than being random.
- Connect your social channels to your blog using RSS so people see your posts on Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and point back to your blog.
- Have an “Ethical Bribe” also known as a “Lead Magnet” that is something of value people want and will give you their email address to get. See an example.
- Growing your email list is the best way to get an engaged and eager community of readers and to monetize your content.