[PAST EVENT] Sam Barry of Book Passage to Speak on Making the Most of Your Bookstore's Resources
About this event:
Join Sam Barry at the BAIPA Meeting on June 11
Book Sellers and Authors: Making the Most of Your Bookstore’s Resources
Morning Speaker Presentation: 11am to 12:15pm
Afternoon Workshop: 1-3pm
(general meeting begins at 9am, speaker presentation is at 11am, after Q&A,
networking time, introductions & announcements)
(Click here for complete schedule)
Sam Barry, director of Book Passage’s Path to Publishing program, will explain why independent bookstores are vital to authors, and in particular authors who are building their careers. Sam will explore various ways the author can build a relationship with the bookstore staff that can benefit their writing career, such as:
- Focus on reaching your readers. Simply put, if you get them in the store, we can do the rest.
- Approach your local indies—but do it the right way.Know the store’s audience, call ahead, and come prepared.
- Design your materials and website with an eye toward indies: We need to see that your fans know we’re selling it, and that it’s not just available on Amazon.
- Don’t publish solely (or at all) on the CreateSpace platform. Also, consider consignment.
- What about events?
Use Indie resources, such as American Booksellers Association and regional book trade associations SIBA,NEIBA, MPIBA, NCIBA, etc.).Most have info for authors, and all host bookseller education events like spring meetings and regional shows.
It’s a relationship-driven business.An author’s aim should be to establish a relationship with a store and with booksellers. Thinks of us part of your community and we can all work together to get great books into the hands of readers.
Afternoon Workshop: 1-3 pm
Launching Your Book in Bookstores
Our afternoon workshop will focus on how to launch your book in local bookstores and setting up bookstore tours.
- How to approach bookstores to get them excited about partnering with you for a successful author event
- Things you need to do to prepare for a successful book launch
- How to get your followers to show up
- The structure of a book launch
- Where you should aim to tour and why
- And much more
If you’re thinking about ways to get your book (whether newly published or as yet undiscovered by your followers) in front of book lovers, then be sure to join us for this workshop.
Register now! Just scroll down to view the ticket listings at the bottom of this screen.
About Sam Barry
Sam Barry runs Book Passage’s Path to Publishing program, which provides individualized help and resources to authors. He is a contributing editor at the literary magazine Zyzzyva, serves on the board of San Francisco’s literary festival, Litquake, and serves on the literary council for the Bay Area Book Festival.
Sam is the author of How to Play the Harmonica: and Other Life Lessons and coauthored Write That Book Already! The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now with his late wife, the author and founder of the Rock Bottom Remainders, Kathi Kamen Goldmark. He is editor of and a contributor to Hard Listening: The Greatest Rock Band Ever (of Authors) Tells All, by Mitch Albom, Dave Barry, Sam Barry, Roy Blount Jr., Matt Groening, Ted Habte-Gabr, Greg Iles, Stephen King, James McBride, Roger McGuinn, Ridley Pearson, Amy Tan & Scott Turow.